Sunday, October 26, 2008

"Appetizer Wars"

Pat is out of town this weekend. He is "checking on our house" in Florida, going to the Jaguars vs. Browns game, and hanging out with all of his old friends. I am a little jealous that i am not there too, but i have been gone so often lately that I am actually happier just to be spending the weekend at home.

His trip to Florida reminded me of my favorite game that I used to play with my friend Mary (who lived in Jacksonville near me, but moved back to Ohio - ironically a few months after i did). Anyways, Mary and i used to have this unspoken game that we would play.... We would totally compete with eachother to see who could make the best appetizer. SERIOUSLY. We didin't admit it for a long time, but in both of our minds we wanted to totally kick the other one's ass with bringing the best appetizer that everyone would be like "wow I soooo need the recipe for this!" I know it is so nuts. Who cares right? WRONG - We so care. I planned recipes all week, Sometimes i even practiced! It got to the point where there would only be like 4 people total hanging out watching a game or something and Mary and I would make like 3 appetizers a piece. Yep 6 appetizers for 4 people. We were out of control.

The guys eventully called us out on it. Called us both "toppers" and becasue it was sooooo true we both laughed it off and decided to continue the contests and still be friends :)

So anyways, I invited Mary over last night for a "girls night" and a surprise appetizer war. I made rumaki (bacon wrapped waterchestnuts) and baked brie with almonds. Guess what Mary made? NOTHING - Ha ha I totally won!!!!!! (P.S. I know she will read this....so again I will just remind you that I WON!!!)....eventhough i'll admit it doesn't feel nearly as good when i am playing unopposed).

Just for fun, here is a recipe for my yummy AppetizerWar Rumaki ( i know i didn't invent this but i am really good at making it and when you add the brown sugar it adds a glaze that is TDF)! So here it is:

Rumaki


1 can whole water chestnuts ( you can also use shrimp, pineapple,dates etc.)
1 package of bacon (fat trimmed, pieces cut in half)
1/2 cup soy sauce (more if you want)
3 T brown sugar (more if you want)
toothpicks soaked in water so they wont burn

Preheat the oven to 450.Take 1 whole waterchestnut and wrap it in a half of a piece of bacon. Hold it together with one of the toothpicks and place it in a pyrex dish or something that will be broiler safe. Repeat until you have used all of the waterchestnuts. Mix the soy sauce and brown sugar. Pour over all of the little rumakis. Let these marinade for an hour or so if you have time. If you want, sprinkle a little extra brown sugar over the top when you are ready to put these in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes (turning the rumakis after 5 minutes). Switch the oven to broil and finish until the bacon is somewhat crispy. Keep a close eye on the broiler...these cook really fast ( and you will have to turn them again during this process too). Spoon a little bit of the remaining sauce over the rumakis once you have removed them from the oven and placed them on a dish to serve.

Enjoy!

No comments: